Disability Employment Services
What is DES?
Disability Employment Services or DES, is the Australian Government's employment Service that helps people with a Disability, injury or health condition to find work and keep a job.
MDSI & SSI's Disability Employment Services (DES) works alongside people with permanent disability to find & maintain work. We help individuals to harness their passion, develop skills, create a plan and link them to education, work experience and employment opportunities.
Am I eligible for DES services?
You may be eligible for DES services if:
- have a diagnosed injury, illness or disability
- are aged between 14 to 64 years
- are able to work at least eight hours per week (with support when required)
- are an Australian resident
- are not studying full time (unless you're an eligible school leaver)
- are not working at or above your assessed employment capacity
Our Unique Services
- Free recruitment service
- Tailored intensive post placement and ongoing support up to 52 weeks from employment commencement
- Job coaching/mentoring on demand to support workers
Work Assist Service
Work Assist is a branch of DES that helps ill, injured or disabled workers who are at risk of losing their job. MDSI & SSI's Work Assist Service supports employers and employees to find a sustainable solution to the problem. Both the employer and employee can request for DES support.
If you are at risk of losing your job because you're ill, injured or have a disability you may be able to receive free services if you:
- Have worked an average of at least 8 hours a week over the last 13 weeks
If you are struggling to retain a staff member due to their illness, injury or disability and can provide evidence that the staff member is underperforming you may be eligible for DES support.
Our Unique Services
We understand that every business and their workforce needs are different. That's why our support is tailor-made to each individual employer and employee
Our unique services include:
- On the job support, mentoring and training based on the specific needs of the job role
- Workplace modification/adjustment
- Work Based Personal Assistance e.g. sending a qualified health professional to support the employee at work up to 10 hours/week
- Deafness, mental health and disability awareness training for employers and their staff
- Referrals to allied health services
- Interventions of counselling or non-vocational support